Henry Sy is a Chinese-Filipino business magnate, investor, and philanthropist. He is involved in the industries of real estate, hospitality, banking, mining, education, and health care. He is responsible for the establishment of SM Malls, anchored by Shoemart Department Store and Supermarket. He is the chairman of SM Prime Holdings, Inc., the holding corporation for all his business interests in his vast business empire. He is the richest man in the Philipines with a net worth of $17.9 billion.
1. “Ever since I was a kid, I’ve always believed in doing my best, that one should aspire to be #1.” Henry Sy
2. “My businesses are all related – retail, shopping centers, banking, real estate, and tourism development. Together they create synergy.” Henry Sy
3. “Doing a mall is not only construction of the physical place: what is important is the merchandising mix. We strive to serve the convenience of the public. We want shopping at our malls to be a unique and an enjoyable experience.” Henry Sy
4. “My basic strategy is to stick to my core business and to my area of expertise.” Henry Sy
5. “I started with shoes, and with hard work and discipline, the business prospered.” Henry Sy
6. “I took a risk and invested in SM Mall of Asia because I wanted to create something that could contribute to Philippine tourism growth.” Henry Sy
7. “I used to roller skate a lot in my youth on Taft Avenue, Manila. That is the reason there is always a skating area in all my SM malls. I want more people to share my love for skating.” Henry Sy
8. “I’ve always wanted to be a businessman. No other ambitions – I just wanted to be in business, even when I was a child in Fujian province, south China.” Henry Sy
9. “Our businesses also help promote socio-economic progress.” Henry Sy
10. “There is no such thing as overnight success or easy money. If you fail, do not be discouraged; try again. When you do well, do not change your ways. Success is not just good luck: it is a combination of hard work, good credit standing, opportunity, readiness, and timing. Success will not last if you do not take care of it.” Henry Sy
11. “It’s an investment that manifests my strong confidence in the Philippine future. I hope this biggest mall project will have a positive impact on the Philippine economy and I hope to encourage other business people to invest, too.” Henry Sy
12. “Not everything I do is purely for money. Of course, as a businessman and as head of publicly listed companies, we have to earn, but at this point in my life, there are other considerations more important besides just money.” Henry Sy
13. “As a kid, I had the will to strive for excellence and to overcome the hard environment.
14. “I never imagined attaining big success. Whatever I have achieved did not happen overnight; ever since my teen years I have devoted many, many years of my life to non-stop studying, diligent work, and dreaming of a better future.” Henry Sy