Net Worth: $50.2 Billion
Born: October 29, 1971
Country Of Origin: China
Residence: Shenzhen, China
Source Of Wealth: Internet media, Self Made
Profession: Business magnate, Investor, Politician
Marital Status: Married
Education: Bachelor of Arts/Science, Shenzhen University
Last Updated: 2020
Ma Huateng is a Chinese business magnate, investor, politician, and philanthropist. He is also known as Pony Ma. He is the founder, chairman, and chief executive officer of one of the largest Internet and technology companies known as Tencent Holdings Ltd.
As of 2020, Ma Huateng ’s Net Worth is an estimated $50.2 billion.
Ma was born in Chaoyang District, Shantou, Guangdong. Young Ma Hauteng accompanied his father when his father got a job as a port manager in Shenzhen. He earned a Bachelor’s degree in computer science from Shenzhen University in 1993.
Ma Huateng began his professional career with a job in China Motion Telecom Development which is a supplier of telecommunications services and products. At the same time, he also worked for Shenzhen Runxun Communications Co. Ltd. In 1998, Ma co-founded Tencent. Their first product was OICQ which was a Chinese interface and a slightly modified form of ICQ, the world’s first Internet instant messaging service by an Israeli company.
In 1998, American online bought ICQ and filled an arbitration against Tencent claiming that OICQ’s domain OICQ.com and OICQ.net were in violation of ICQ’s trademark. Tencent lost the case and had to leave the domain by changing the name of software from ICQ to QQ. Tencent launched an online gaming platform in 2004. By 2005, Tencent launched a direct competitor to Alibaba known as Paipai.com.
Ma also launched an app for text messaging and group chat in 2011 which became the largest instant messaging platform. In 2015, Ma expressed his intention to launch an internet hospital to provide long-distance diagnoses and medicine delivery.
Net Worth Last 5 Years
2019: Net worth was $38.8 billion
2018: Net worth was $45.3 billion
2017: Net worth was $24.9 billion
2016: Net worth was $16.6 billion
2015: Net worth was $16.1 billion
Ma Huateng and his family live a low-key lifestyle away from public scrutiny in Shenzhen China. Ma drives a China manufactured Volvo S80L car. He does not own any private jet or yacht.
1. “In America, when you bring an idea to market, you usually have several months before competition pops up, allowing you to capture significant market share. In China, you can have hundreds of competitors within the first hours of going live. Ideas are not important in China – execution is.” – Ma Huateng
2. “On all open platforms, regardless of whether it’s Facebook or the Apple App Store, the largest segment is entertainment and games. It’s the largest revenue segment. And it’s the same for Tencent.” – Ma Huateng
3. “At Tencent, we may be businessmen, but we are still chasing our IT, our science. We are still striving to create something really cool, trying to create things we couldn’t even imagine without our new technologies. I am still clinging to this enthusiasm.” – Ma Huateng
4. “If you ask me what I worry about every morning when I wake up, it’s that I don’t understand future mainstream Internet users’ habits.” – Ma Huateng
5. “Look at Microsoft, Google, and Facebook. They have all entered many sectors, and actually, in many of those sectors, they weren’t as early as Tencent.” – Ma Huateng
Key Points To Conclude
- Prepare for tomorrow.
- Stay focused.
- Do not stumble in tough times.
- Do what you’re passionate about.
- Cash the opportunity.
Ma is the founder of one of the largest Internet and technology companies “Tencent”. He is well known as an investor and entrepreneur. Ma is among the world’s wealthiest businessmen in the world
As of 2020, Ma Huateng ‘s net worth is an estimated $50.2 Billion.
I hope that you have been inspired by Ma Huateng ’s Net Worth, do let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.